Low power television stations must file their annual FCC EAS Test Reporting System (ETRS) forms by February 28, 2023.
Under the FCC’s rules, EAS Participants must renew their Form One filing each year.
It is a common misconception that LPTV stations are not EAS Participants. This is wrong. However, LPTV stations that operate as TV translator stations and/or rebroadcast 100 percent of the programming of a hub station (or common studio or control point) are not required to register. If you are relying on this exception, it is important to make sure that the hub station (or common studio or control point) does register and file in ETRS.
The FCC has been paying increased attention to the compliance by LPTV stations with requirements such as this one.
You can find the ETRS system here. To access Form One, you need to use your FCC Username and password. If you do not have an FCC Username, you can obtain one here. If you have forgotten the password associated with your FCC Username, you can reset it here.
To prepare an updated Form One:
- Click on “Submit Form One” in the top menu bar.
- Test Cycle: select “2023 ETRS Form One Filing” from the drop-down menu.
- Complete the FCC Registration Number field.
- EAS Participant Type: select appropriate type. The remaining fields will adapt to the selection made from this menu.
- If a broadcaster, fill in the facility ID of the EAS Participant, hit enter. The remaining fields will pre-populate based on the information in the FCC’s records for that facility.
- Confirm the pre-populated fields are accurate.
- Click “Submit Form One.”
The FCC and FEMA have not announced when or whether they will conduct a nationwide EAS test for 2023 (there was no test in 2022). If there is a 2023 nationwide EAS test, then EAS Participants will need to file Form Two and Form Three.